Breakfast - the most important meal of the day
Some people will tell you "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day". And how right they are!!! Those who skip breakfast are fools!
But why is Breakfast the most important meal of the day?
- Breakfast sets you up for the rest of the day
- After around 8 hours of sleeping your body is hungry! It's had no fuel for a long time
- Not eating breakfast prolongs the time your body goes without food and increases the likelihood of it going into starvation mode (see my nutrition article for info on starvation mode)
- Eating a balanced breakfast will balance your blood sugar level early on thus settling your mood for the day
- Balancing your blood sugar level throughout the day ensures your body stays healthy: you don't want your sugar levels to crash, and you don't want to gain any unnecessary fat
So what should I eat for breakfast?
Well for starters get rid of cereals. Yes you read that right ditch the cereals and invest in eggs and meat for good protein, nuts for good fats and complex carbohydrate foods such as brown bread and also low GI fruit such as raspberries or strawberries.
A high protein breakfast allows for a slow rise in your blood sugar, the good fats will help keep your blood sugar stable for longer, the low GI fruit will give you much needed vitamins and nutrients, and the complex carbs will round off your breakfast giving you a fuller feeling.
So don't be a fool, eat a healthy breakfast: high protein, low in simple carbs and get that good fat to start your day in a bright way.