Everyone loves smoothies, and in the past couple of years they've appeared to become more and more popular. Smoothies are big business today, and there is lots of choice for you out there in supermarkets and health stores. And guess what smoothies are healthy right!!??
...Think again! Next time you're out have a look at the label on a smoothie and check out the sugar content, now ask yourself if this smoothie is a healthy option! Off the shelf smoothies have way way too much sugar in them that your body can take at once!
So what's the alternative?
Make your own, and by adding some crucial protein and fat you can make a super healthy smoothie at half the price and half the risk. Here's one I've been having recently, it's a great way to boost your protein and fat intake and keep you satisfied throughout the afternoon:
- Handful of mixed berries (I buy these frozen in bulk so you can use them at any time)
- 2 Scoops of protein (I use 1 scoop of vanilla flavoured, and 1 scoop of unflavoured)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (this is your healthy fat, yes coconut oil is super healthy so go get some now)
- 1 teaspoon of organic honey (sweetens the smoothie up a bit and gives you all the goodness of organic honey)
- 300 ml of organic whole milk (whole milk has the best balance of protein/carbs/fat and is in my opinion the healthiest source of milk, make sure it's organic)
Put them through a smoothie mixer and voila, your own smoothie! One extra thing I do, is to sieve the mix to get rid of all the small seeds off the berries, you may like the seeds in which case leave them in!
OK so for those who are interested in the macronutrient balance, the above tends to give you between 400 to 500 ml of drink (2 Servings) which works out at roughly:
- Total Calories:
- 606.6 kcal
So there you go, a super nutritious smoothie that makes 2 servings that is a great alternative choice to what you find in stores today.