Sprint your way to the Beach
So youâre off on holiday soon and want to get that beach body look... then keep reading...
Diet alone is not going to have the desired effect in the short amount of time you have. Long stints of stay state cardio (e.g. bike or jogging) arenât going to do you any good either. Weight training is probably the best thing but for you beginners out there by the time youâve learnt how to do heavy squats you will be sat on the plane home!
Get yourself up and down to the local park/fields to do some sprints!
- Sprints are maximal (or near maximal) effort sessions.
- Sprint sessions will f*** you over pretty quickly so are half an hour max, meaning youâve got the rest of the day to prepare for your holiday.
- Sprint training is a form of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
- Regular sprints will strip body fat like no other exercise.
- Always warm up for 5-10 minutes. Do this with some glute activation and mobility exercises.
- Do your sprints, generally lasting around 10-20 minutes (some ideas below).
- Always cool down for 5-10 minutes. Do a couple of minutes slow jogging and plenty of static stretching.
Sprint session Ideas
Not sure what to do? Then here are a couple of drills I incorporate in my training:
10 on 30 off:
10 seconds sprint followed by 30 seconds jog/walk. Do 4 sprints then rest 3 minutes and go again.
Mark out 5 markers (cones/jumpers/shoes/whatever) each about 5 or 6 yards from each other in a straight line. Sprint to the first marker and back, sprint to the second and back, etc etc... Finish on the longest sprint, rest for 3 minutes and go again. Time your sprints to see yourself getting faster!
Start by jogging round a field for 2 minutes, then 70% pace for 40 seconds. Repeat for about 10 minutes.
Note: beginners take it slowly to start with, work up your pace/intensity as you get more comfortable with running fast again.
Take home points
So there you go, throw in 1 or 2 sprint sessions each week. Sprints combined with healthy eating and 3 or 4 bodyweight circuits is the quickest way to strip that unwanted body fat! So get up and sprint your way to the beach!